SailNet Community - View Single Post - How NOT to tie a cleat hitch
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
How NOT to tie a cleat hitch

OK, I admit it. I check how other people tie their lines on the cleats as I walk the docks. I can't help it. Until now I've just vaguely wondered why it seems so difficult for so many to tie such a simple hitch, but a few examples I've seen lately have pushed me over the edge to where I can no longer remain silent. How in the hell can it be so friggin' difficult to just make a round turn and some figure eights with a hitch at the end? Do people work at trying to make the most complicated knot ever created every time they tie their boat to the dock? Is there a secret competition for "most ridiculous imitation of a simple cleat hitch" that I'm unaware of? Am I just getting old and easily irritated (don't answer that, it will only pi** me off). Anyway, here are some examples of what I'm talking about. Feel free to add any that you see that might be worthy of a blue ribbon.

this one gets extra credit for incorporating hanging a fender with the same mooring line that is on the cleat. Note the end on the cleat on the dock (no, this is not a permanent mooring line, it was a transient boat in the marina for one night).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 06-19-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook