SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Having seen Jimgos boat in person I would say that he got a great boat for his family and for years to come. Having the comfort items on board and inboard diesel fits right into his future plans. As he slowly fixes any issues and gets to sail her she will have much new equipment. His boat is large enough for his family of 4 comfortably to stay together on her for days at a time. It also offers great safety in its stability. He purchased a good solid boat. When I looked at it casually its build was of superior quality and she was in good cosmetic shape.

Any 30-40 year old boat will need its propulsion, electrical, water systems updated. That's a given. Once done however they are newer than a 10 year old boat. Putting $5-10,000 into this boat for the price he got it for will give him an updated solid boat to travel on anywhere for a price under $25,000

In addition he got it for such a good price that in spite of him fixing his engine and tranny problems he still is making out well. When you buy a boat of that vintage you should expect to do something more than minor engine work in order to ensure its up to snuff unless it has been done recently.

He has had some bad luck with his first boat getting destroyed and this boat needing repairs instantly to get it in shape, but make no mistake about it he got a good boat for the money including the repairs. I understand his frustration as he wants to get sailing like NOW. But eventually he will.

I will have to disagree with you slightly on the size you should start with.

I say learn on a 22-25 which is trailerable or dockable. Unless you are just doing small lake or bay sailing for the most part I would suggest starting with a 27/28foot boat. The systems on it are more similar to larger boats so you can "learn" how to handle diesel engines, larger sail areas etc.

Also the sailing experience is more positive due to seakindness and size to entice your spouse and kids to join in as a family activity. The ability to have amenities such as a hot shower, burners, room to sleep, enough electricity to run fans, etc is important to some. A slightly larger heavier boat will handle good winds in the 20-25 knot range easily and more comfortably.

I learned on Hobie 16s and raced on friends 25 J's, and my first keelboat was a 28 Islander. I knew I liked sailing and if I bought anything smaller within 5 years I would be selling it so why wait. I also knew I would use my boat a lot so some of the non simplistic systems you speak about were some I wanted as criteria and also to begin learning about them.

You have to buy a boat which fits your needs and also some of your future needs I think.

Which ever way you go I suggest you get the best condition ( good bones so to speak) largest boat you can for the money you can spend ( that means initially and overall)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook