SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar vs. Wind Turbine.
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solar vs. Wind Turbine.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages.
Wind Generators operate 24 hrs a day rain or shine but require wind of at least 10 knots but preferably 15Kns plus. This doesn't make for the most pleasant anchoring and they can be noisy. Most are and some very.

Solar require sun and are effected by clouds and shadows. They are totally silent so your neighbours will never complain.

First thing you have to do is calculate your daily energy requirements and then how you are going to supply that power. For example how long do you plan to run the Honda each day. Are you going to run your engine. You'll find that some of the things on your wish list like hot water can only be accomplished by running your engine.

Then you can figure how much renewable power you will need. When I'm cruising I use about 6ah per hour or 144 ah per day. Most of that is refrigeration. So I need about 150ah per day which means I need about 450 watts of solar panels or about 15 knots of wind with a D400.

A friend of mine has both and is right now in the Windward Islands. He says he wished he had more solar.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook