SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Boating right for me?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Boating right for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
Also...why would anyone drop the $$$ on a new boat without knowing if they like it...that is just plain silly
I've seen people do some amazing things... this HAS been done, and would NOT surprise me to see it done again. A fool and his money...

New does not guarantee functional... it only (sometimes) guarantee's that it'll be fixed without cost. These two concepts are mutually exclusive. This was learned by me at the age of 11, when my father bought his brand new 27 footer in 1981... with backwards rigged wheel steering and NON-starting diesel.

Used does not guarantee much either. I agree whole heartedly with much of what is said. A surveyor is invaluable, but a person should read and learn as much as they can before they dive in, at least as much as to learn what the surveyor is saying. For this, I think this website (and a couple others like it) are invaluable tools to learn as much as you can.

Let us not forget the libraries of books about boating... of which I STRONGLY recommend the Capman's Guide to piloting..
Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 65th Edition: Elbert S. Maloney: 9781588162328: Amazon.com: Books Chapman Piloting & Seamanship 65th Edition: Elbert S. Maloney: 9781588162328: Amazon.com: Books

Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook