SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I have tried to explain to a gamer how my nav program is sort of like a video game. You have the charts, tides, currents, can also get NOAA input that gives wind and wave hieght add to that speed, depth, GPS, AIS and radar input.....then trying to sail all at the same time you have a pretty complex video game. Thing is if you screw up...you don't just reset the game, it's real.
I think it's charming how you try to bridge a generational gap with the chart plotter. But ultimately let's face it, sailing is boring compared to other stuff a young kid could be doing. I think you have to have different sensibilities as a young person to have sailing appeal to you.

A previous poster wrote how they liked motor boating much better than sailing since it's almost as simple as driving a car. sailing will always face that challenge because it's not like driving a car. It's complicated for a newbie, you need a little intuition to get the hang of it. The industry needs inspirational teachers. Gadgets can only get you so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook