SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
I think it's charming how you try to bridge a generational gap with the chart plotter. But ultimately let's face it, sailing is boring compared to other stuff a young kid could be doing. I think you have to have different sensibilities as a young person to have sailing appeal to you.

A previous poster wrote how they liked motor boating much better than sailing since it's almost as simple as driving a car. sailing will always face that challenge because it's not like driving a car. It's complicated for a newbie, you need a little intuition to get the hang of it. The industry needs inspirational teachers. Gadgets can only get you so far.
I learned how to sail before gadgets....when I was 15, my brother gave me a book called "The Craft of Sail" which approached sailing from the point of view of applied physics....I told my brother I know how to sail I don't need this...but I just "felt" stuff....after reading this book...."Oh that's how why it works". Things like vectors, lift, lateral resistance, etc.....I just (not to sound corny) was one with my boat.....all of my sensory input was far more than is possible for a video game...it is going on all around you...not just a small vid screen in front of you, the wind on your cheek, the shape of the sail, tension of the line, the ripples on the waves, etc....the little things here and there...far more complex....and you really have to think.
Of the people who would be best suited for my crew, the mindset, they are either skiers, backpackers, surfers, rock climbers...not all of our youth is plugged into a video port.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook