SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our first bareboat charter BVI 2014
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-19-2013 Thread Starter
CaribDream

Our first bareboat charter BVI 2014

My wife and I are looking into booking our first BVI bareboat charter for Nov 2014.

A little about us and our "resume":
- 10+ years owning/operating 20ish foot powerboats
- 3 crewed BVI charters
- 1 Florida Keys crewed charter to obtain our ASA 101 (basic keelboat), ASA 103 (coastal cruising), and 104 (bareboat) certifications with Island Dreamer Sailing School (private one-on-one instruction)
- I will also have my ASA 105 (coastal navigation) cert
- By 2014 we will have had 2 seasons of sailing our centerboard sloop on LI Sound

Given this, even though we are somewhat new to sailing on our own, I am fairly confident in our skills especially with a year of sailing between now and then including a crewed bvi charter this fall. However, we all know how much different it all feels once you are out there alone vs pouring over charts in the living room. I feel very confident, but I know we aren't experts by any stretch. Even though we are Bareboat Certified I booked the crewed charter this fall to act as a bareboat "dry run" - ie. Getting more helm hours with a crew watching over me.

What can I expect being that this is will be our first bareboat as far as the actual booking and departure goes? Will charter companies allow us on a 36-40 foot monohull? I have been looking at Sunsail, but lately I'm looking at TMM , Horizon, and BVI Yacht charters.

Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome