SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our first bareboat charter BVI 2014
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Our first bareboat charter BVI 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
My wife and I are looking into booking our first BVI bareboat charter for Nov 2014.

A little about us and our "resume":
- 10+ years owning/operating 20ish foot powerboats
- 3 crewed BVI charters
- 1 Florida Keys crewed charter to obtain our ASA 101 (basic keelboat), ASA 103 (coastal cruising), and 104 (bareboat) certifications with Island Dreamer Sailing School (private one-on-one instruction)
- I will also have my ASA 105 (coastal navigation) cert
- By 2014 we will have had 2 seasons of sailing our centerboard sloop on LI Sound

Given this, even though we are somewhat new to sailing on our own, I am fairly confident in our skills especially with a year of sailing between now and then including a crewed bvi charter this fall. However, we all know how much different it all feels once you are out there alone vs pouring over charts in the living room. I feel very confident, but I know we aren't experts by any stretch. Even though we are Bareboat Certified I booked the crewed charter this fall to act as a bareboat "dry run" - ie. Getting more helm hours with a crew watching over me.

What can I expect being that this is will be our first bareboat as far as the actual booking and departure goes? Will charter companies allow us on a 36-40 foot monohull? I have been looking at Sunsail, but lately I'm looking at TMM , Horizon, and BVI Yacht charters.
The sarcastic answer would be-Do you have a functioning credit card with an available balance? If so, you will be fine.

The accurate answer is-Ask the companies directly. From experience I would be surprised if the companies you listed would not allow you to go. If you have the tiniest doubt in your skills or abilities I always suggest arranging a skipper for your first day. It will cost between $150-$200 and will help make you more comfortable relieving the stress of getting started on a "different" boat. In the grand scheme of your vacation, considering the cost of airfare, boat rental, food etc. it is a very small fraction of your total cost. Typically local capts will give you very good itinerary suggestions based on the forecast weather conditions and be able to guide you to any local events, or perhaps more importantly, away from them!!!

Think it over and do enjoy your trip.

Last edited by FarCry; 06-19-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook