SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

We sail around Bodkin Point a lot as we are in Rock Creek ( crab pot free) and for the most point there are very few crab pots in the actual channel leading into the Bodkin Creek. What you experienced is the global cluster srrounding that. There really is no large designated channel except from the G7 into the creek. The other markers mark the shoals. If you draw a line from G to the BCRG and stay outside you will find very little pots.

Also the Rhode/ West River does have a lot of crab pots around the way in, but I have not noticed them in the true channel heading in.

North Point has them also.

It would be hard and unfair to restrict the commercial or recreational crabbers to areas as most of the Chesapeake does not have established "channels". They have as much right to use the water as the rest of us.

I think for the most part the crabbers stay away from the channels because they dont want to have their pots destroyed or chewed up but the boats also. I usually can follow thier lines and stay ouside of them.

Its always been this way on the Chesapeake with the rec boaters sharing with crabbers. Its a fact of life. You sai the Chessie you take your chances.

BTW same holds true up north in the LI Sound or off the coast of Maine.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook