SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seattle: Maintenance Consultants?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013

mtitus is on a distinguished road
Re: Seattle: Maintenance Consultants?

Congratulations on getting your boat. I too have just (Feb.2013) purchased one of these holes in the water I dump money into- And love it. I got me a 27 Catalina and love her to bits.

I am somewhat North of you and have many of those same things on my list as you. If you can I would recommend a Marine Diesel Engine Course or clinic if one is available in your area. Here in Vancouver I managed to take one and I cannot tell you just how valuable that knowledge has become to me. Things like oil changes, filter changes and cooling system servicing, all can be done yourself saving tons of those "Marine Units" (Large sums of cash).
I am in the middle of a holding tank/plumbing refit- replacing santi pipe clamps and such. I would recommend getting your tank pumped before too long and not to use the head until a leak and hose/tank inspection is complete. Things like odor, moisture, and what might appear to be a "salt" like build up in and around your santi hose and or pumps are in indication of a leak. Lots of info can be found on holding systems on the web.
My compass was in such poor condition, I simply replaced it. Ask your fellow marina friends who they would recommend to "swing" or service your ships compass.

I wish you fair winds and favorable seas and welcome to the Sailing family!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to mtitus For This Useful Post:
N&N (06-20-2013)