SailNet Community - View Single Post - Back stay boom supporter broke - now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Back stay boom supporter broke - now what?

I hate those pigtails. I almost consider you lucky to no longer have it.

Make a very light topping lift out of dyneema. It will blow out of the way of the sail when sailing and it keeps the boom high and out of the way when you aren't. You can easily make it adjustable by making it about 2' shorter than the leech, putting a lightweight block at the lower end, and running line from the boom, up to the block, and back down to the boom. If you make a fixed one you want it to be a couple of inches longer than your main's leech.

I've made two of these. I used 1/8" dyneema with a tiny Harken carbo-block on one, and 2mm dyneema with a heavier block on the other. The 1/8" one works better and that size dyneema is a lot easier to splice.

You'll need to climb the mast (or drop it) for installation. If the Kent Ranger 24 has a mast tabernacle and you've never dropped the mast then I'd recommend that approach. It'll give you a chance to carefully inspect all standing rigging, inspect sheaves, inspect and replace mast wiring, and take care of other business.