SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our first bareboat charter BVI 2014
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska:1046681
Most will charter you a boat the day you walk out of ASA104. If you've been to BVI 3 or 4 times by then, that also great reduces the concern.

If I was in your position, I would feel ready to go right now. This may be more about your confidence level than theirs.

Another option is to use a broker, like Ed Hamilton, in Tortola. Explain it all to them and have them clear you with the outfit they find best suits your needs.

Keep at it and enjoy.
Thanks for this. I am a very cautious person. I feel fully confident in my ability to charter right now - but right now I'm sitting in an office chair. By next fall I'll have another year of sailing under my belt and more training. That video "Ode to the credit card captain" haunts me. I don't want to be "that guy". While I find it very hard to see how that guy made soooooo many horrible mistakes, I know how things can spiral. Again - I don't wanna be "that guy".

I am actually working with my broker whom I have used for the past 3 years to book my crewed bvi charters. She works with TMM, Conch, BVI Yacht Charters, etc. If I end up going with Sunsail I'll probably book on my own. One captain I know strongly urges first time bareboaters to charter something smaller (30ish foot). However I am liking what I see from TMM and those are 40-43 foot which is what we trained on. Decision s decisions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook