SailNet Community - View Single Post - Initial Offer Question
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Initial Offer Question

Here's my thinking...

The boat was built in 1984, making it 29 years old. Most of the boats we've been looking at were built in the 80s. I know boats tire with age and use, some faster than others. Usually, the quality boat tires more slowly. So from that point of view, the quality boat is more appealing to me. And upon resale, it won't depreciate dramatically from age 29 to maybe the mid 30s.

Right now, we will use it as a weekend get-away and will most likely stay on it overnight a couple nights a week, maybe more. So sleeping, showering, cooking, etc. are important parts of the decision factor.

Sailing - We don't want a tub but we aren't going to race either. Fast and comfortable is ideal though. We want a boat that can sail in light winds just as easily as heavier winds. No constant looks over at the black start button wondering if we don't push it will we ever reach our destination thoughts.

Ideally, we'd like to take a week or two to make the trek up the lake, Mackinac Island specifically. That's a two-weeker. So it has to be able to handle the weather and keep two people reasonably comfortable. Anyone who knows the Great Lakes knows violent storms can jump on top of you quickly. So I don't want to be fearing our little boat will be broken apart when we get caught up in that. And if we travel, we will.

I need peace of mind when buying. You can't know everything about a boat, not even with a thorough survey by the most competent surveyor. There's always something about to break down, always something hidden trying to take your boat to Nature's original state. A better quality boat that is well maintained will increase the odds of not experiencing too much of that.

We're going to look at it this weekend. Right now, the boat is on the hard. We may have a motivated seller. But in the end, it's are we willing to commit to the cost of ownership? that will determine if we will become boat owners. This will not become an emotional decision.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook