SailNet Community - View Single Post - Back stay boom supporter broke - now what?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Back stay boom supporter broke - now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
Thank you, I didn't understand how you'd lower the main while it was still under a load.
Sorry, about the 'dogbone' slang. Dogbones are the strops with D rings on each side and which pass through the reef cringles. A lot of mainsails have these when there are ram hooks for reefing on the boom. I have a line which starts below the gooseneck, runs through a shackle on it's side of the gooseneck, through the D ring, back through a guide shackle on the other side of the boom, down to the deck and back to a halyard lock at the cockpit.

This effectively acts as a low mechanical advantage cunningham. There is not much load on the luff except at the very end of tensioning the luff. On my 38 footer with a roughly 400 s.f. mainsail, I have been able to reef on a deep reach in winds approaching 30 knots without using a winch. I ultimately adjust the final luff tension with the halyard after 'two-blocking' the tack. If I had a bigger boat, I would probably rig something like a 4:1 or 6:1 cunningham tackle for each reef to still be able to reef easily.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook