SailNet Community - View Single Post - solid fuel heaters
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellkiffer
I have just got back from a sailing weekend on a friends 28 foot yacht, he has a solid fuel boat heater made of stainless steel. It has a heat exchanger on both sides of it and ducts hot air to the rest of the boat by a small computor size fan. There is also a small oven on the top which takes a pie or a few jacket potatoes. A small kettle stood on the top all weekend, so we had constant hot water for coffee. All weekend it kept alight with a constant cabin temp of between 21 and 24 degrees. It burned coal brickets and over the whole weekend we probably spent £2-3 in coal. Oh and we got soaked one day and dried out all our gear in a few hours.

His previous yacht had a smaller version which just warmed the main cabin.

I also knew of another 23 foot sailing yacht with a brilliant little solid fuel heater made from a CO2 bottle, which is the carbon dioxide gas dispencer for pubs.

Quite honestly I can't see any negatives except it is not instant heat, it takes about half an hour to get going. There is ash to dispose of which creates dust, but he has a small vaccume cleaner which easily clears the dust. You also need somewhere to keep the solid fuel and a stout leather glove.

The positives on a yacht are no battery drain and constant heat so all round winter sailing. They will also not fit in all boats.

The smell inside the boat is far better than diesel.

Kiffer
Kiffer...

I don't see how it can be no-battery drain if it uses a small computer fan to blow air into air ducts... doesn't the fan require electricity, or do you have some new technology that makes fans run without needing electricity???

Solid fuels are lower energy density and higher cost per BTU than liquid fuels. They also can be a storage hazard, and the dust can be an explosion hazard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook