SailNet Community - View Single Post - Initial Offer Question
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Initial Offer Question

Interesting responses. All are good and I'll only add one thing that I haven't yet read. Buying or selling an item is not a contest of wills. A successful negotiation is a meeting of goals or intentions. As such, it should never be viewed as a zero-sum game where you have to lose for me to win. I run my business this way and it's what's kept us in demand for 26 years. Do your research (BoatUS is a great resource for valuation), and offer a fair price a bit below where you intend to settle. If it doesn't happen, then my mom's advise applies - there is always another "good deal".

Ok, I'll add a second response. Yes, Sabres are well built but so are Catalinas. The reason why a Sabre is so much more pricy is the interior and the cost of the components, not the quality of the hull itself. IMO, Catalina makes an excellent boat. But Garhauer is much cheaper than Schaefer and there is no such thing as a stock Sabre sail. The interior is piece-built by hand and there are virtually no moulded components (except for the shower on newer Sabres). That all costs. Each Sabre is semi-custom.

I agree with jimwilson that we're not as fast as others, but we can go almost-fast in great style and comfort! As for a 1984 Sabre's longevity...um, if it's maintained, it can be a gem. I know, I have an '84 and had an '82 Sabre 28 before this. PM me if you have any specific questions.

NOTE: Sabre no longer manufactures sailboats. If you own one, you own a collector's edition.

Last edited by Sabreman; 06-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabreman For This Useful Post:
JulieMor (06-21-2013)