SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast work
Thread: Mast work
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast work

The topclimber and ATN climber are very similar, but different.

The top climber the halyard slides thru the ascenders and the atn climber they can fit over the halyard. With the ATN there is no need for a separate line. You can climb your halyard.

They are both very safe and have been dropping in price i see. I prefer the ATN climber even though the ascenders are not as well made as real ascenders from REI.

The bosuns chair would be very difficult to fall out of if used as instructed and is far more comfortable than a harness. It does have leg straps. If you fall out of the chair than you have no business being up a mast.

I used to use the harness for hunting; no go. Now with the ATN climber i can feel my toes again. You can hang out for hours. I bow hunt from it.

It does take some time to really learn how to go up and done with the ATN in a rapid fashion. I'm quite fast, but i use a swinging type climb rather than the one you see in the videos. Its actually easier on your knees and waist. I swing my feet up(out) as i pull up the ascender; then push down. Not the best move if it is rough out though.

Compared to putting your on kit together it's roughly the same price.
Ascenders~ $80 ea
Harness~ $40-50 (if not more)
Foot strap~$30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook