SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I place a high value on aesthetics...
No Brent, you don't. To wit...look at your designs for the roller furling, the windlass, the blocks, the companionway hatch.

If you think these are aesthetically high value...you're seriously doing it all wrong.

You place the highest value on pure function. Form is not even on your radar.

Now, this is perfectly fine. It's your thing. But, please, for the love of monkeys, stick with the facts. You only make yourself look very silly when you try to be all things.

Quote:
You are right!
Everyone I know who has eliminated his roach has drastically reduced his weather helm. Theorizing on how the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, wont make it true, no matter how much math and theory you use to prove it. I prefer experience over such theory.
Brent, the point is, why were your clients experiencing such bad weather helm in the first place? Have you designed a very heavy boat that can only handle a very inefficient sail? Is that good sailboat design?

Quote:
I have seen such " decorative priority" boats leaving BC , looking immaculate, but by the time they get to New Zealand they look rough as hell, while the more practical, easier to maintain boats with workboat priorities can do the same trip, and still look immaculate at the end of the voyage. Your boats often contain such yachtie absurdities, mine, rarely .I dont recommend them, you dont discourage them.
It blows my mind that you have the arrogance to criticize another designer's boats on aesthetic grounds and "use of yachtie absurdities". Have you ever considered that the "workboat priority" steeler arriving in NZ looks just as did when it left port because, maybe, it looked pretty damn skanky when it left port in the first place?

Your grip on reality is tenuous at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Some where I read that a battenless/roachless sail helps to reduce weather helm.....the theory being a less efficient sail gave less lift so there was less effort behind the center of lateral resistance....
This is the problem with this thread. "Less efficient" is "good enough". That's not a "dream" - that's a fear of going to sleep. There's no way to advance design or technology when this mindset is the detente.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-21-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook