SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor weight for 1650 Ib boat...
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor weight for 1650 Ib boat...

An 11 lb claw, 9 lb fast set with 20-30' of 1/4" chain would probably hold your boat just fine thru 40-50 mph winds generally speaking. Altho since you are in mud, one size larger might be better so you have more surface to hold you. As in mud, that is usually the key over weight. Hence why some like the fortress over a steel danforth.

I do not like danforths, I seem to have a hard time setting them. Once I do, the do ok until a tide or wind shift sends me a 180. Then over half the time the anchor does not reset. Hence why I personally prefer something like a claw, spade or equal style newer design setup, they more than likely will reset.

I have used a 9lb fstset in up to 15knot winds with 6' of 3/8bbb chain on my 30OA 6500 lbs sailboat, it sets and does fine. My 7.5KG/16.5lb genuine Bruce has held me just fine in winds to the mid 20's. I have about 20' of 1/4" chain on that setup. Rope is 5/8 vs 7/16 for the fastset. Both serve a purpose, ie lighter is min needed per race rules to throw out, heavier is the prefered if anchoring out, sleeping etc. It is below, other is on the bow.

Marty