SailNet Community - View Single Post - charts
Thread: charts
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Voyage View Post
To any cruisers or recent cruisers out there. What are you using for charts? Electronic or paper or both. And if so where are you getting them? What brand of electronic charts? Looking to cruise the Med. and charts, at least paper ones are expensive and add up. How is everyone else dealing with this expense?? Thanks for any input.
I use both... If you're using a plotter, your choice of electronic will depend on the manufacture of your gear. My older Simrad stuff uses C-Map, which I've always been quite happy with... Can't speak to anything else electronic, I don't currently use a computer for navigation, although people keep trying to convince me I can't live without an iPad, so that might change some day...

Paper is tough, it's a significant expense, no question, especially in certain cruising areas... More and more people today seem to be comfortable going paperless, but I'm not one of them... Yet...

I've used the portfolios from Bellingham Chart Printers in the past, they're a good alternative to originals at a substantial price savings... However, they often do not have rights to copy originals from the hydrographic services of other countries, so might not always be copies of the best charts available for a particular cruising ground... Here are their folios of NIMA charts for the Med:

http://www.tidesend.com/index.lasso?...gion&area=a011

I've bought some used charts from this outfit in the UK, nice folks to deal with, I was very satisfied with their service...

Untitled Document

And, keep checking with the SSCA Chart Exchange, stuff pops up there from time to time...

SSCA Forum ? View forum - Chart Exchange

Finally, there's always eBay, though it's a bit frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a properly designated category for navigational charts, they often appear to be listed under some sub-section for 'Antiques'... Still, I've scored a few deals on eBay over the years...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook