SailNet Community - View Single Post - Throttle control cable
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Throttle control cable

I had the same problem early last year. As recommended, I installed a Morse Teleflex throttle cable brake. It is a little on the pricey side for what it is ($22). Also I realize that the set screw within the Edson pedestal broke off and was not working right. This set screw also does the same thing. I tapped a new bolt and together with the cable brake clamp, works very well. I have heard of people reworking the internal throttle spring (Yanmar). This is something you want to avoid. If your throttle cable broke, there would be no safety measure of bringing the engine back to idle.

I like Faster's idea on using a larger hose and hose clamp, as long as the hose clamp is strong enough. When you tighten the throttle cable brake, you can hear and see it really compressing within the shield of the cable at one pin point location. With the hose clamp concept, you would have two locations and you would have the hose to soften the load onto the clamp.
But as with the other bolts you would be using, either throttle brake or set screws, you will want to use Loctite on the threads. Not the strong level sealant.

Anyways, easy fix and a couple of options.
good luck.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook