SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar vs. Wind Turbine.
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

redline is on a distinguished road
Re: Solar vs. Wind Turbine.

When I added the radar/dinghy arch to Redline a few years back, I ordered both the solar panel brackets and a post for a wind generator at the same time, planning to add those later. We ended up installing two Kyocera 130W panels right away, and adding a third the following year (after learning that the particular panels we had were being replaced by another not-quite-identical model, but were still available). From day one, we're thrilled by the solar. The (mainly fridge) overnight consumption was typically replaced by early afternoon each day, and if I had room to expand our house bank (of 3 Group27 batteries) I would, as the panels can generate more than I can store, and this at 46 degrees North.

Now we sometimes need to run the engine for hot water, as we no longer do for battery charging. It was a surprise the first time we ran out, now it's just a reminder of how little fossil fuel we're using ;-)

As for the support post... it's holding up our WiFi and its antenna, and lately the HF antenna and its tuner. No plan to change those, either. I'm sure wind has it's place, but as long as we can get by with silent, vibration-free, no-moving-parts solar, we will.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook