SailNet Community - View Single Post - first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC

5 knots is a very fast average for that boat, especially if they are sailing. I would think that even 4 knots is a pretty fast average for a boat like the S2 30. Given a typical day's 10-12 hour run, I would think that it would be hard to coordinate with the tide cycles if you are going to come close to keeping your schdeule since you could experience at least two tide cycles on each days time underway.

You may need to allow time for an engine oil change, and given your tight schedule you should plan also carry enough fuel for the length of the Bay to avoid putting in for fuel. If you don't do that you will need to add precious time to go further up Rivers to places with fuel docks.

If I had to make that trip from Annapolis I would probably do something like this:

First day,
-If I had a late start I would head down to Galesville on the West River. Its only 14 miles and it gives you a chance for a shake down the boat and end up at a town with a good set of marine services.

-If I had a very early start, I would try to make it to Hudson Creek on the Little Choptank, and anchor. (no facilities) (This would be my second day stop if I got a late start on the first day)

Next day:
I would try to make it to Reedville or Mill Creek off of the Great Wicomico River and anchor as well.

Next day:
You should be able to make it to Mile One of the intercoastal.

I'm planning on flying up on the 27th and start out early morning of the 28th. I need to reach Little Washington by the 3rd of July. Is this a do able time span? Is it best to come down the Dismal swamp or the ICW?
That seems like a nearly impossible time frame, especially if you plan to sail at all.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook