SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Some racing boats have used a batten or two in their jibs to gain a little unmeasured sail area. It makes for a nice sail but you can't roll it up.
My AP lapper (roughly 111%) has battens and some roach which I wanted to to improve shape and reaching ability. Its on a furler and has 'furlable' battens which fold flat when rolled on the furler.

This has to be my favorite sail ever. It has this wildly wide range of down to about 2-3 knots and well up into the 20 knot range. Its a slightly full cut jib cut for a lot of headstay sag.

What I love about this sail is that in light air, its flying shape is like the leading edge of a #1 genoa and the battens trick it into acting like a larger sail shape aft in terms of trailing edge shape. As the breeze picks up, removing headstay sag and adding halyard tension, flattens it to be a nicely shaped #3. The sail is horizontal panel, kevlar-mylar and has held up very well with a lot of hours of hard use. Its light enough to hold its shape in light winds, and the kevlar nicely manages stretch in a serious breeze. It really is the "bee's knees" with a single reefed mainsail when the breeze is in the low-to mid 20 kt range...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook