SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has anyone on here raised a sunken sailboat?....I have...
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
You don't see many abandoned boats in my neck of the woods. I think if you abandon a boat, the authorities track you down and hold you responsible for all cost associated with having your boat removed.
Well, if Indiana is anything like California, the authorities have very little power when it comes to holding boat owners responsible for the disposal of derelict or abandoned boats. Here in the Sacramento River Delta, it is a huge problem. Over 1000 miles of waterways and hundreds of abandoned boats tucked away amongst the reeds. What is beginning to happen more and more is that the local law enforcement agencies will try to track down the owner if possible. Usually there is no response or "I sold that boat a year ago, don't remember the guy's name" kind of thing. Through a state-funded grant, they can then contract to have the boat removed and destroyed. But it is a slow process and there are many, many derelict boats to be removed and more appearing all the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook