SailNet Community - View Single Post - Initial Offer Question
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Initial Offer Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I've sat quietly through all of this, and I'll say that you've completely crossed the line of being a "thoughtful, and frugal shopper" into total paralysis.

You've built a list of impossible-to-satisfy criteria, along with the equally impossible criteria that this entire list must be satisfied. It seems that you're more in love with the idea of boat shopping, than boat ownership or any actual sailing.

I recommend that you sign up for a fractional sailing membership, like www.Sailtime.com, and spare yourself the agony of "should I or shouldn't I?" This way, you can enjoy sailing without worrying about surveys, re-sale values, and all the other stuff you're worried about. It's guilt-free, responsibility-free and as low-risk as possible.

I understand your desire to make a smart purchase, but your insistance that all risks be 100% eliminated, and that the boat perfectly conform to your fantasty, is unrealistic.

You have made "perfect" be the enemy of "very good" for the express purpose of sabotaging your boat purchase. That way you're safe, because you haven't made a mistake.

You'll pop up here every few months, for years, with some new boat that you're looking at on Yachtworld, asking the same advice over and over...but you'll never buy a boat. You'll always have a perfectly good reason not to pull the trigger. Something won't be perfect enough.

Once more, for the record:
I applaud your desire to make a smart purchase, not rushing headlong into a project, but you're paralyzed.
Ouch

I respectfully disagree. ( which is a first as we usually are on the same page)

I didn't see the OP that way at all. She made it clear her priorities of buying a boat were on hold while she initially had to make repairs and finish the upgrading of her house.

I believe she has concluded that she now has the time as well as the financial ability to become a boat owner and is going through the process of whittling down the criteria.

Not everyone plunges into decisions as quickly as others and those of us who are further along in our lives with the prospects of limited future funds are as quick to pull the trigger. A financial mistake in your sixties is harder to recover from one in your 40s. In addition some take more time to make a decision and analyze every detail where others push forward and deal with the details as they face you. neither is the CORRECT way to do it as there really is no CORRECT way. To the person who makes quick decisions the person who is meticulous seems paralyzed. To the meticulous person the quick decision maker acts without enough thought.

I believe the OP has her head on straight and has no misguided illusions of finding the all perfect boat. Being the first time purchaser as she is she is overly cautious, which IMHO is better than being impulsive.

I don't think Sailtime is not the solution for her ultimately and that her sorte into boat ownership will come at the rate she feels most comfortable with.

From first hand experience I know that my wife and I process things differently. She will often want to think about and ponder something , where I am more likely to come to a conclusion faster with the knowledge that if its wrong I will adapt and change course. I have learned she isn't "paralyzed", its just that her though process on something which doesn't REQUIRE immediate decision is different than mine. She is a neonatal nurse so she makes many quick decisions easily, but when it comes to something like a boat, my wife would mull things over a lot.

With PATIENCE I have learned to give her the time so she is ultimately comfortable with her decision or ours.

Continue on Julie.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook