SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's the difference? Help route planning.
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
What's the difference? Help route planning.

I am leaving the San Juan's for northern waters next week. I've got all sorts of books but can't really decide on where to go. It all seems the same so I'm having trouble choosing.

I like the San Juan's. I like pretty much everywhere ive been. I know I'm going to desolation sound. But from there where. And where along the way. I've gotten advice in the past and appreciate that so I thought one more time now that I am more familiar with the area and names mean something and the fact that I'm heading north and will be out of cell and Internet service I figured to get this done now.

I intend to blow through the gulf islands as a way to get to Vancouver ASAP. Vancouver sounds totally kick ass so information on anchoring in false creek would be good. Safety of my boat and dinghy while I go ashore...

From there I am going up the Sunshine Coast which had better live up to its name, probably bypassing princess Louisa for lack of good sailing and to DS. I haven't decided were to stop along the way. I am an insanely slow sailor so far. Maybe because I insist on sailing if I can and motoring if I can't but a big day for me is 40-50 miles. If I had perfect coditions I could do more but I still have other duties like cooking and cleaning and it takes me a terribly long time to get up and ready so...

Desolation sounds great and I predict a good end of June and better July weather wise. After a tough cloudy may, June has been good and getting better. I might stay there for a while and head back or I might get adventurous and keep going.

This is where it gets confusing. I dont think alot of you understand, but for a person not from here it all sounds the same. Take the San Juan's, gulf, DS and broughton's. Whats the difference? Same weather, the pictures all look about the same and they all have some but not many towns. So how do I know I want to go to the broughton's? Up until comin here I thought everything north of Vancouver was just empty but now that I'm here There's actually stuff everywhere. Nanaimo? What's that? Who's heard of nanaimo? But I think it's like a mini city. Comox? Who knows? Might not want to miss it, or it could be nothing. There's too much to choose. That's what I'm saying. I could be happy spending the whole summer in The San Juan's. but I don't want to miss other stuff. Maybe ill like it more.

I'd also like to say that I do like nature, but am not a dedicated mountain man, so while I don't like to drink or party, I like to mix up nature anchorages with vacaion type places like Friday harbor and would avoid "real" places like logging towns and utilitarian stops. How I imagine port Angeles is. But I also don't like single private places where its just a resort like just a private resort or marina in the middle of nowhere.

And don't hesitate to say where you didn't like. From the people I've talked to noone has anything bad to say about anywhere so their advice has almost lost meaning. Good can only be good if there is a basis of comparison. So for someplace to be good someplace has to be bad. Where should I not go.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 06-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook