SailNet Community - View Single Post - first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC

I wouldn't plan on more than 50 miles per 12 hrs. You may do more, but it's better to under than over estimate.

If during the week, traffic shouldn't be a concern on either route. It's been my experience that powerboats prefer the Virginia Cut and sailboats the Dismal Swamp. They are both about the same amount of transit time in a sailboat.

While it's nice knowing where you're going from experience, that's what charts are for, just like maps on the highway. Be aware, each morning, of alternate stops short of your day's goal, in cause of weather or mechanical problems. And don't set your day's goal in stone.

I don't know how far you can go on a tank of gas for your Merc. If nothing else, bring an empty 5 gal can that you can use if necessary. South from Norfolk will be all motoring, as will the Alligator and through the canal. (If you're under 45' mast height, you can go west side of Roanoke Island if you know a place to anchor or dock around Swan Quarter, instead of the Alligator.)

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook