SailNet Community - View Single Post - Initial Offer Question
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Initial Offer Question

To be clear, nothing I've said here was intended to convey I'm looking for reasons not to buy a boat. As questions arise from members, I answer them. There was never any intention of looking to find reasons not to buy.

This is the first time I am actually beginning the process of finding a boat to buy because it's the first time I've been financially able to do it. Thus my initial question about making an offer. I would never have asked that question if I wasn't serious about buying a boat AND have the ability to do so.

Nothing in the world gives me the feeling I get when sailing. If you don't know the feeling, I can't explain it. I can only say it makes me feel alive and always has, since my first sail 42 years ago. Maybe it's in the blood.

Before I began this thread I was clueless how much asking price vs. selling price vs. lender valuation can vary. It's all over the place. And unless you're a broker, having the knowledge and skills to determine the actual value of a boat just by looking at is rare. But I now have some tools and knowledge to walk into this with.

I thank you all who have helped me get to where I am now, for this part of the boat buying process. I feel I at least have enough information to help me bring a reasonable offer to the table. I'm hoping we can agree on a boat to buy this season. If it was just me, it would be easy. But when there's two in the decision making process...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook