SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Skills/Practice
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Cruising Skills/Practice

I have taught about 20 people how to drive semi-trucks, they are large, complicated and have a ton of regulations on them...kind of like a boat. The best way to learn is to study the rules, the techniques, and the equipment, ask questions, and learn as much as you can, then do it. You can learn a lot from sailing with someone more experienced, but until you are the one doing all of the things that have to be done, it is not quite the same. I hate to tell you that sometimes you just have to stand behind the wheel, take it slow, give yourself a lot of sailing room, be super aware of your surroundings, and just try to stay relaxed and keep your mind in the game.

There is not a single thing that anyone here can tell you that will be exactly the same as doing it in person. I could sit here and tell you all about how to drive in the mountains hauling an oversized load, but until you have 200,000 pounds of cargo on the trailer and a combined weight of over 400,000 pounds and are going down a mountain in the snow, in traffic, it just is not the same. I could tell you to buy some piece of equipment, or tell you how to tack into some condition or the other, or how to tie some knot, but if you are like most people I would think you need to be like NIKE and just do it. Safely, slowly, and with your mind clear and being well rested.