SailNet Community - View Single Post - Genoa Cut Flat for reefing????
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Genoa Cut Flat for reefing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
100% is probably way too small for an AP working jibs on most boats in most venues. This is very boat design and geometry dependent but he would probably do better with something between 110% and 125%. The trouble with standard cutting patterns is that they do not account for headstay sag which varies very widely from boat to boat and with wind speed. If you are going to make a proper sail then sag needs to be measured and factored in.especially if he is concerned with maximizing the top and bottom of his wind range.
Is there some rule of thumb or formula for calculating headstay sag? I just finished up a storm jib and really just estimated the amount of sag that would occur to my inner forestay but I agree that it's a m/m that often is ignored. Most of the headsails I've seen have little to no luff curvature sewn in to account for deflection. Calculating the direction of that deflection and in what wind direction and speed and the resultant curvature is also a difficult thing to figure.