SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1972 tartan 30
Thread: 1972 tartan 30
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: 1972 tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Now I find out the boat has been retagged because of the z in the hin. The owner mentioned a diesel spill which is why I assumed the new tank. Said diesel was almost to the floor boards. Not sure if that alone would cause it to be sold as a salvaged boat and hence the retag. Any opinions? You saw the pics and I am still tempted to buy given a good motor survey. Not sure what else to look for now. The boat was built in Feb. of 1972. Might it not have had a hull no. at first, then issued one when sold? Also, does this boatfax site work or is there any legit way to track the history of this boat?
Well I can't imagine that boatfax works any better than carfax, as in does not work at all. Only thing is try tracing the past owners, via Coast Guard via documentation if it was, good luck with that. I think I would just give him a low offer, and get it or leave it. Non of your things listed are deal killers for me, but there are a few issues. The Tartan 30 is a really good boat. Any boat that age is going to have issues, and it is is still floating. If the motor runs well, and sails are ok, and rigging is not too bad, I would get it if i thought it would serve my needs. They are pretty simple boats so if you are at all handy I don't see any big issues.

By the way I had a car that I know was totaled twice (once by me, but not my fault) and both times there was insurance claims and it showed up with a clean car fax when I got rid if it! So I don't trust car fax, and there have been other cases where is did not find damage or other history.

Last edited by miatapaul; 06-22-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook