SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy ship inquiry finished.....
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: US Navy ship inquiry finished.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
Did you think this ship was newly built and had but a single voyage under her keel? Or did you mean that you have a list of incidents over the 23 year life of this ship? Or incidents in the commander's history? Where exactly did you pull your ship's history from?
The point is that she wasn't being navigated at all...simply driven between points on the chart plotter.

Watch standing practices don't develop overnight. This ship had a culture that allowed steaming without navigating. I don't have to know anything about this ship's history or its commander to know that.

I can also tell you that it wasn't just the Navigation Department on this ship that had problems. A ship with poor watch standing on the bridge...the most visible of watch parties...will have shortcomings in Operations and Deck and Engineering and others.

Too bad the reef, the ship, and the Navy's reputation were the casualties of their laziness.

Doesn't mean that the crew of Guardian were bad people or weren't trying hard. They just didn't live up to their responsibilities. They knew them and were trained to do them. The Navy makes sure of that.

But they are people and they are fallible. That's why...for important activities - like Navigation...several levels of command and watch structure are required.

For example there are four distinct levels of oversight: for open ocean steaming, for restricted waters, for piloting waters, and for sea and anchor detail (entering and leaving port). I don't know what level was set for Guardian. What I do know is that it was enough. And it was a habit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook