SailNet Community - View Single Post - Potential first boat purchase
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007

sonofason is on a distinguished road
Potential first boat purchase

Hello everyone! I've been interested in sailing for quite sometime, and am finally at the point where I'm ready to "take the plunge" and buy a boat. I was hoping to get some advice on where to start. My sailing experience is limited to a dinghy course I took in RI a few years ago and then the ASA 101. I plan on taking the 103/104 combo class, as well as spending some hours with a one-on-one instructor.

My questions:

Should I go ahead and buy a relatively inexpensive boat now, do the course and then pay for an instructor to give lessons on my boat (option 1) or

Should I do the course, rent a boat for lessons, and then buy a bigger, pricier boat after I have become more proficient (option 2)?

Of course if I do the first, I'll have the added headache of trying to sell the first boat when I upgrade. OTOH, I'll have a better idea of what I like/don't like in a boat.

Particulars:

The wife likes to sail, but we have a three yr old as well as 8wk old triplets (yes, you read that correctly!!) so we will likely be limited to day-sailing or short overnight trips for a few years.

My current ceiling for spending is $80k

Even if I go with a nicer boat now, I will still be upgrading again at some point further down the road.

We will be sailing mostly out of Clear Lake, TX and Galveston Bay with perhaps some short trips down the TX Gulf Coast.

If I go with option 1, there is a 1967 Cheoy Lee 27' Cadet I've been looking at. Would this be a good boat for a novice sailor? Also, what would be a reasonable price for that boat in good condition? Thanks in advance

sonofason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook