SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roller Furling Staysail on Sloop
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Roller Furling Staysail on Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post

Here I am using my staysail and single reefed main at about 15-20 knots with some higher gusts. This sailplan makes for a self-tacking jib. (Yeah, gettin' old has its drawbacks)
That picture somewhat illustrates the point that I was trying to make, especially since the rig proportion on the IP 31 is actually a true cutter rather than a sloop with a staysail crammed in the slot, and yet even here, you needed to reef your main to balance the jib in comparatively light winds (15-20 kts). Visualize the same sails but on a boat with a proportionately smaller foretriangle and you should quickly understand the point that I was making about the staysail size on the IP 27.

Seaduction: I think that I have sailed on your model as well. The boat in question had a similar problem to the one I mention above in that she would not tack reliably in winds under something like 10 knots of wind unless you either furled in the genoa or used the engine to push her around. Have you experienced that on your boat?

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-24-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook