SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's the difference? Help route planning.
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: What's the difference? Help route planning.

It's not that I don't like sailing in Vancouver - I moor here and quite like it.. my point is that the city is not 'geared up' very well to welcome visiting boaters. Smaller towns like Nanaimo, Sidney, Comox, and other coastal towns are better set up for transient boat traffic.

It is cool to anchor essentially 'downtown'.. but there are few places to get ashore, though there are a number of water taxi docks here and there around the creek, they have to be kept clear for the boats but it may be possible to leave a dinghy out of the way. Otherwise it's all either rockwalls or other (usually locked) marinas.

It's safe enough, and I'm unaware of any high incidence of dinghy/gear theft. As you enter False Creek, the second bridge is the Granville Bridge.. there's a kiosk under the bridge on the north side - you can stop there and get an anchoring permit, it's good for a couple of weeks. Fairly busy in there this time of year, be sure not to anchor in the fairway. If your mast is short enough you can get past the third bridge where it's a bit less busy (check chart for clearance, I don't remember it, but we can't go that far with 55'.)

There is a seawall/walk from Kits Beach, all the way around FC, right through and around Stanley Park, probably 15KM end to end, and it is a beautiful, flat level walk. There are also bicycle rentals available at various locations.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful city.. and well worth visiting, I just wish they were overall more boater friendly...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook