SailNet Community - View Single Post - The new tub
Thread: The new tub
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
The new tub

So, thought it was about time to introduce my new tub for the scrutiny of Sailnet at large (there were some teasers in other threads )
She's Orange Crush, a 1974 C&C27 MkII, purchased a few weeks ago in Vancouver and brought home 2 weeks ago. Since then I've mostly been working on her, including the whole of this week (literally!).

Here she was when I first met her, looking a bit sorry for herself after lots of deferred maintenance:

Being a bit of a sucker for orange boats (of course you remember Tangerine), well, you know how it goes. Anyway, some much needed mechanical TLC was given to her over in Vancouver and despite that, we made it back to Sidney relatively unscathed.
On Thursday morning (not Monday as originally booked ) she was hauled out ready for the work to commence.

As well as bottom paint (and a few other bits and bobs), I just had to do something about those topsides and get her all orangey again. Turns out is was not just oxidised gelcoat, but at some point she'd had some sort of lacquer applied which had worn off in places, chalked up in other places and generally looked awful.
Well, it took 3 days, working 12 hours each day, lots of toxic chemicals and buckets of sweat (heaving a 12lb polisher above my head for most of it), but eventually I managed to get her back to at least some degree of her former glory
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Orange Crush

Of course the sun disappeared today so it doesn't look that shiny in that photo

Work in progress:

Mmmm, shiny.

I'm pretty pleased with my labours, she's nice and orange once more. Her teak is all oiled and lovely, just need to give the decks a post-haul wash and sort out the interior. Oh and sail the cr*p outta her of course

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook