SailNet Community - View Single Post - Potential first boat purchase
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern
I would echo the thought that you should sail on as many different boats as possible before deciding what to buy. What works for me might be too much or too little for you. If you have some experience, you will be able to determine what factors are most important to you. Then, you can come to a place like this and ask "My budget is $x and I want a boat that is really stiff and has a big cockpit. I need berths for four and only a minimal galley" etc. You can guess now as to what those factors might be, but you won't really know without some sailing under your belt. For me, I wouldn't drop 80k on anything unless I was reasonably sure it would meet my needs for the foreseeable future. Now, if you wanted to spend 5-8k and buy an Oday 23 or a Catalina 22 or 25 just to get sailing now, that would be a pretty good option in my book. You will get out there and start learning, and because of the perpetual market for those types of boats, they are relatively easy to sell. btw, I don't think I ever saw my wife as stressed as when we went sailing in a small boat with our toddlers.

Amen........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook