SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's the difference? Help route planning.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: What's the difference? Help route planning.

I've only been to prevost, salt spring and pender. They don't have good sailing. If you look at the Sam Juan's they are the shape of a circle where the gulfs are a line, the wind is either dead, or southeast or northwest. Anything else is rare and blocked. So you really are either sailing dead downwind or straight upwind. But there's really not room. As soon as you get on a good tack there is a rock or an island in front of you. Plus the currents are strong in all the passes, restricting your freedom to sail at the time of your choosing. I'm looking at maps and reading the cruising gulf islands book right now. Do you think I can go from sucia to vancouver in under 9 hours? That way I can bypass the gulfs entirely. Save me the hassle of the passes. Either that or
Friday harbor
Pender
Wallace?

I'd go through portlier but that's the problem. This guide isn't showing much for shelter near the passes. Once I hit Vancouver I'm home free. The Sunshine Coast looks phenomenal. In having trouble deciding where NOT to go there, there are so many choices. From what I hear on my radio when I listen to the weather the strait of Georgia has great wind. I'm hoping to get halfway up and get alot of sailing done early afternoon when the wind is picking up but not at its peak. Ill tack upwind all day if I have to. I have no problem with that.

Feel free to recommend anywhere else I could leave from. I could go from Bellingham maybe. I haven't been to Bellingham. It's another place I think I can anchor in front of downtown(the south side? Fair haven?) and everyone says Bellingham is cool.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook