SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hot Water Heater Usage
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Hot water heater

I hope you don't mind but this is one thread I've been waiting for.

We sail out of Kingston, lake Ontario. I am not "Spartan" and the rest of the crew (wife and kids) even less so. So cold showers are to be avoided. Cold weather is also the norm (especially mornings). We also sail as early and late in the season as possible (i.e. early May - end of October limited only by how soon and late the Marina can put the boat in and out of the water).

A Hot shower will be a big plus. Our boat, 32 Attalia (Jeanneau) did not come with hot water.

I've looked into several options:
1) Heat exchanger off the engine (13hp. Yanmar )
2) Bosch water heater (propane flueless (w125-k))
3) Hot Water tank or instant.

I am still researching...

An electric heater is not an option as we have very good showers at the Marina. It is when we are on the hook that the self-generated hot water becomes important.(i.e. essentially all sailing excursions)

A related question is that the Head is all original and has marine grade plywood etc. anybody have problems with using that as the shower? I'm assuming the water from the shower goes into the bilge then gets pumped out... and that there is no problem with the wood etc.

I do not want to take over the thread and apologise again. I would be happy to hear from experience and suggestions via PMs.

Cheers,

-Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook