SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
'''''''''''
After reading this thread I am going to look into an inflatable and think about wearing it when single handing in my home waters of Long Island Sound. I do disagree with the OP though, I think that throughout the summer the water is warm enough here to survive for quite a while.
You can disagree with the OP all you want about how long one can or can not survive in water if dumped overboard. LIS may be warm enough to survive for a bit, but here in the salish sea where it is 40F generally speaking year around, you have 5-15 min at best, generally speaking, before Hypothermia starts to set in. Hence why most folks use dry suits when scuba diving around here too!

Then the water can get rough out int he straight of Juan de Fuca that he cross's.....He is also in a 23' boat, with NO lifelines. So a harness should be part of his normal routine to a degree too.........

Then again as noted by some CG statistics, a lot do not wear them no matter where one is or conditions............

Reality is, a harness/tether and a proper PFD for the conditions should be a part of ones normal boating useage.

Marty