SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving boat to Campbell River
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving boat to Campbell River

Hi Faster,
We've stayed at Savary in settled weather and really enjoyed that south facing beach. It's a bit spooky because when you drop anchor just inside the eastern tip of the island, you are forced to be quite far from the beach because of the very gradual shallowing. So you end up looking and feeling like your boat is right out in the middle of the Straits, and it is disquieting. The whole time I am on the beach I am watching my boat to make sure she hasn't dragged off into deep water. Note that this isn't really rationale, it is just a worried captain thing. It's still worth the stop, and if there is any hint of SE winds then the north side is much less exposed feeling.

I agree on the SE winds from DeCourcy. As you know, it's not often the SE's are blowing, so playing the odds I am hoping for a NW breeze and close reach to Jedidiah. We may or may not stop in Nanaimo, though I doubt it. I always want to spend time at Newcastle because I think it is a real gem, but the prospect of being in that anchorage is so discouraging that we avoid it these days.

Hey, you lucky sailor, the Broughtons indeed! That's fantastic. We are moving Aeolus to Campbell River, and then returning home for a few days, and then heading back up to CR with our boys to begin our trip around Van Isle. We will boogey to Port Hardy, with no exploring of the Broughtons, so that we get most of our days on the West side. But who knows, things happen and we may run into each other. We will certainly be listening to the same VHF forecasts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook