SailNet Community - View Single Post - Potential first boat purchase
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofason
Thanks for all the replies--just to clarify a few things:

I would not be taking any of the kiddos on the boat in the foreseeable future--I wouldn't trust myself at this point to supervise them adequately and maintain control of the vessel--hence daysailing and short overnight trips while grandma or babysitter watches the kids.

Also a motor will pretty much be required for survival where I'll be sailing.

As for crewing on other peoples' boats, that would be ideal, but my work/home schedule will not allow much flexibility for that, which is why I'm thinking rentals/cheap purchase with private lessons.

Any opinions on the Cheoy Lee Cadet? Is 27 ft too big for starters? If the only worry is the Portugese Submarine Fleet, I've got that covered. My brother is a P3 pilot (subhunter) in the US Navy. I'll just give him a call every time I head out of port
Sonof.
This time i'm serious, ok?

I sail with a 9 year old (he actually helps as he sails himself) and a now 9 month old baby all the time. Once you get the hang of it its wonderfull and you can spend some great time with the family.

This is the thing.

1) You need to learn how to sail, to be confident
2) to do that you need to do it on rented/school boats
3) don't buy a boat yet, first learn then buy
4)You can learn on a big boat if mooring entering/leving port is easy, if not, forget it...you'll piss everyone off
5)Get some larger boat experience with friends (you'll make some at the school unless you're like T34C), or even rent
6)Slowly introduce wife+kids to the boat (I sold a boat to a guy, took him, the wife and the kids for a sail, and now 2 years later, he never sails because the wife got scared, the kids vomit all over, boat for sale now)
7)ONCE you can sail, and suceed at all the above. then you buy a boat, a 26' is fine to start. Avoid real old crap, but don't go all the way new.

From here, either keep that, then not too old is OK, good choice, or sell, and buy bigger.

But first go there, do it, learn and balance at the end. Do you really want it??? does the ife want??? Green kids is not fun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook