SailNet Community - View Single Post - Potential first boat purchase
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
Sonofason....

I lived in Seabrook (right next to Clear Lake for those of you that are not familiar with the area) for 2-1/2 years and know every square inch of waterway in that area. IF you decide to buy a boat with no motor I thinks its safe to say you're not going to enjoy sailing much due to the stress level. The boat traffic in that area is INSANE. Everything from maniacs in saltwater canoes up to 100+ foot yatchs at all hours of the day. You need to be able to motor out far enough to get decent wind and to avoid the maniacs on the jetskis that will add to your stress level. Another thing to consider in those waters is the draft of your boat. Most of the bay is deep enough (15'-20' especially near the bridge) however, if you live near the apartment complexes on NASA Rd 1 as I did you're only looking at 4 to 7 feet.....add some chop to the water and you may run aground or batter the keel if youre in a rocky area.
I'm not expert on boats I just know your area well. My advice is get something from 20' to 28' maximum that you'll be able to handle alone. I'm sure the more experienced guys on this board can recommend a few boats. Also, get something that has an inboard motor. This way when you're not out there learning and want to spend some time with the family you still have a vessel that you can operate with the wife and kids on board, run electricity for creature comforts and most importantly recharge your batteries without the need for shore power or running bulky batteries home every time you go out. My .02 .....

-Nick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook