SailNet Community - View Single Post - Storm sails and roller furling headsails?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007

wallybygolly is on a distinguished road
Storm sails and roller furling headsails?

I did extensive searches both on this site and on the web and don’t believe I have come across the exact answer I’m looking for yet…so I turn to you guys for some help.

I have a CAL 30 with a roller furling headsail…I don’t know what size the jib is exactly as it was put on by the previous owner and other difficulties prevent me from sailing her for the time being.

My question is this: What is the preferred method of dealing with heavy winds with this type of setup? Is a 30’ boat too short for a storm staysail? I was looking at it the other day and I’m just not sure if I have the room to support that additional sail up front. Is the best option to get a mainsail with triple reef points and just tie it down tight and keep the jib rolled in? I can’t imagine leaving the jib partially unfurled is a good thing to do long term…but then again, not sure how much it would be used really (however, I think its good idea to have a correct plan of action before its needed).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook