SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving boat to Campbell River
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving boat to Campbell River

Yes, the Copelands are a nice spot but it would take a lot for us to need to go there. We've used Lund several times to pick up and drop off friends on our way North and so the Copelands are quite familiar.

As for Nanaimo, I'm not overstating anything to say I don't like the anchorage. I don't! It is so darn full of boats and so urban feeling that I find no reason to be there. It is neither as pretty or as restive as nearby places. If I have some reason to go to the docks, I will still move just a bit further to stay at the top of Gabriola, which has better views and relative quiet. I agree the mooring field protects the eel grass and isn't crazy expensive, though for the cruiser on a budge it is one less free anchorage. I said and I know that Newcastle is truly a gem in the Salish Sea, and it is true that I've used the free temporary stop at the Nanaimo docks once or twice to do some shopping, but I do what I can now to avoid stopping there. I'm not arguing against it for anyone else, but I have an unusual love of wild places and remote anchorages, within reach and reason.

I've also crossed lovely Laura Cove, now called Las Vegas Cove by us, off our Desolation Sound list in July and August because it has been taken over by the Prideaux Haven crowd of Mega Yachts, loud drunken parties, and a flotilla of inflatable devices unparalleled in the region. Don't ask how I know this.

So this is my bias. I prefer quieter places when I trying to get away from syphilization.

northoceanbeach, we are not in Friday Harbor now, so sorry I cannot meet up with you. Happy travels though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook