SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Moving boat to Campbell River

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  northoceanbeach 
#1 ·
We are soon to be moving our Gulf 32 Aeolus to Campbell River from Friday Harbor. I know questions often arise here about desired stops and distances in the Straits of Georgia, and so I thought I would link here to my blog post that includes a simple Google map I did on our route. I clearly remember when these waters were all new to me too.

Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse: Route plan for delievering Aeolus to Campbell River from Friday Harbor

We've done this trip many, many times and I would be happy to offer stories of our lessons learned to anyone who is interested.

Fair winds

#2 ·
Nice post... we've never overnighted at Savary.. 'settled weather' would be the key there, I'd think!

If there are SE winds, from Decourcy I'd be sorely tempted to go out Gabriola and ride the system up to Jedidiah unless shopping in Nanaimo was planned.

We're heading out Friday, spending part of the weekend in Smuggler Cove, with a stop in Pender Harbour before heading to the Broughtons.. perhaps we'll see you up there? or are you going through and beyond??

Have a good trip!

#3 ·
Hi Faster,
We've stayed at Savary in settled weather and really enjoyed that south facing beach. It's a bit spooky because when you drop anchor just inside the eastern tip of the island, you are forced to be quite far from the beach because of the very gradual shallowing. So you end up looking and feeling like your boat is right out in the middle of the Straits, and it is disquieting. The whole time I am on the beach I am watching my boat to make sure she hasn't dragged off into deep water. Note that this isn't really rationale, it is just a worried captain thing. It's still worth the stop, and if there is any hint of SE winds then the north side is much less exposed feeling.

I agree on the SE winds from DeCourcy. As you know, it's not often the SE's are blowing, so playing the odds I am hoping for a NW breeze and close reach to Jedidiah. We may or may not stop in Nanaimo, though I doubt it. I always want to spend time at Newcastle because I think it is a real gem, but the prospect of being in that anchorage is so discouraging that we avoid it these days.

Hey, you lucky sailor, the Broughtons indeed! That's fantastic. We are moving Aeolus to Campbell River, and then returning home for a few days, and then heading back up to CR with our boys to begin our trip around Van Isle. We will boogey to Port Hardy, with no exploring of the Broughtons, so that we get most of our days on the West side. But who knows, things happen and we may run into each other. We will certainly be listening to the same VHF forecasts!

#8 ·
Yes, the Copelands are a nice spot but it would take a lot for us to need to go there. We've used Lund several times to pick up and drop off friends on our way North and so the Copelands are quite familiar.

As for Nanaimo, I'm not overstating anything to say I don't like the anchorage. I don't! It is so darn full of boats and so urban feeling that I find no reason to be there. It is neither as pretty or as restive as nearby places. If I have some reason to go to the docks, I will still move just a bit further to stay at the top of Gabriola, which has better views and relative quiet. I agree the mooring field protects the eel grass and isn't crazy expensive, though for the cruiser on a budge it is one less free anchorage. I said and I know that Newcastle is truly a gem in the Salish Sea, and it is true that I've used the free temporary stop at the Nanaimo docks once or twice to do some shopping, but I do what I can now to avoid stopping there. I'm not arguing against it for anyone else, but I have an unusual love of wild places and remote anchorages, within reach and reason.

I've also crossed lovely Laura Cove, now called Las Vegas Cove by us, off our Desolation Sound list in July and August because it has been taken over by the Prideaux Haven crowd of Mega Yachts, loud drunken parties, and a flotilla of inflatable devices unparalleled in the region. Don't ask how I know this.

So this is my bias. I prefer quieter places when I trying to get away from syphilization.

northoceanbeach, we are not in Friday Harbor now, so sorry I cannot meet up with you. Happy travels though!

#9 ·
I think cruisers up here must dislike the cities because the rest of the year they livein them. I like a mix of everything. But I haven't lived in a big city for a while.

I've also yet to find any of those annoying party crowds, although maybe I will soon and then my opinions will change. As long as I can drop the hook and have my swinging room I'm fine.

#10 ·
As for Nanaimo, I'm not overstating anything to say I don't like the anchorage.
True.. we like what we like.., sorry didn't mean to offend..

#11 ·
No worries Faster, it is the inherent hazard of text based "conversations" that all the vital non-verbal cues are left out. I've given more unintended offense via forums or email than I care to remember! It is a truism of us sailors that we are an independent and opinionated lot. It usually impresses me how much decorum and civility is shown on this forum given what we know are strongly held and differing views.

As for avoiding the cities while cruising because we live in one, there is certainly truth there! There is yin/yang for all of us, heavily influenced by our predilections. I happen to love visiting cities, so long as I am able to escape from them when I wish.

I happen to love visiting Victoria, and find the rates in front of the Empress to be a fantastic deal. Dirt cheap, really. It's hard to beat sailing into the inner harbor, tying up in front of the Empress, and hanging out around Victoria for a few days, then to have a great Straits crossing to wipe away all the dirt and corruption.

#12 ·
I thought faster was on his way to Friday harbor to get your ass. It was scary. He's fast.

Maybe I should go to Vic. It does sound good. Can't go everywhere. So right now its north. Or tomorrow.

It's true what you said about skee daddling. I'm sure false creek vancouver will be fun and I'm more sure ill enjoy leaving for quieter waters.

You guys are all just spoiled. Your definition of a crowd is deferent than mine. I think I'd get scared of the owls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.