SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Come to think about it. I could always clip to the windward stanchion. Or there are metal rings installed in the center of my cockpit. I wonder if that's what they were installed for.
If the metal rings look strong enough to withstand a load of at least 4000 lbs (more is better), then yes. They should have adequate backing plates as well, then they'll work well for attaching jacklines and/or tethers. I would never clip to a stanchion unless there was nothing else to clip to. It is so easy to run jacklines (and not that expensive), all you have to do is run them between bow and stern cleat(s) or somewhere not too far aft to allow you to fall over the transom. Another note about pfd's, since were on the subject- I had west marine's off-shore model, and it's not too uncomfortable that I thought it was a hassle to wear, but since having the Spinlock model, I'll probably never go back to the regular style inflatables. They are so adjustable that you barely notice you have it on, and it goes on in a cinch. I'm able to put on all foul weather gear, and just plop this thing over my head, button it and clip in in seconds- blind-folded- it's that easy. At $400 clams, they're not exactly cheap, but I cannot imagine buying another.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook