SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sails, brands, quality, price.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: New sails, brands, quality, price.

As the next sail I need to replace is my mainsail I have been looking carefully at different sail makers. I have discovered that not only do the prices and quality vary considerably, the differences in price do not always follow the differences in quality. Yes if you pay an exorbitant amount for a sail you will probably get a really good sail.....but you can get a really good sail at a low price or a poor quality sail for the same amount (or even more). I have found a number of sailmakers that would make me a new sail for about the same price. Sobstad (both Dacron and laminate), Kelly-Hanson and Mack sails both make decent sails and are about the least expensive (actually they guarantee it), there are a few others I have researched.......basically I can expect to pay between $2000-$2500 (including laminate sails) for my boat. Because of the importance of the mainsail being cut right and how long it will be with the boat, this is one sail you should not cut corners on. One thing I stress is to have a good sailmaker measure all of the particulars of your boat, every boat has slight differences. Sort of like an off the rack suit compared to one tailored specifically for you, "off the rack sails" even on a production boat, never fit as well as a sail made specifically to your boat for your sailing needs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook