SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Blue Water / Shallow Water Compromise
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Good Blue Water / Shallow Water Compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Hi Everyone,

First post but have been reading for a while :-)

I want to buy an older, affordable sailboat in the 30-40 ft range.

I'm a Brit living in Baltimore. I want a boat that I can eventually sail home across the atlantic in. I've done a fair amount of reading and have an idea of the boat models well known for this but here's the problem, I live on the Chesapeake Bay and will be doing most of my sailing there and up and down the East Coast.

So anyone know of an Atlantic crossing sailboat with a shallow draft? Isn't that kind of contradictory? I'm assuming a swing keel wouldn't cut it. I'm wide open to suggestions :-)

Cheers, Paul.
Welcome Paul,

I would suggest you continue to read and read and then read some more. It will soon realize that it is not the blue water boat that is important in crossing the pond. It is the sailor who knows how to sail blue water.

Buy your boat for the intended purpose NOW, not what you may do in the next 10 years. There are so many blue water boats on the Chesapeake bay that have never seen blue water. All the owners in the past had the vision to sail the ocean. Somehow, things have changed, didn't like the boring voyage in the ocean, other interests, or just don't enjoy sailing as much as they thought.

You will get lot of advises in here. All has its merit and is correct. How you are using it is important.

Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook